Introducing a guru of Fitness Business Strategy – Bill McBride! Bill is a health club industry veteran, he has worked in all aspects of sales, marketing, leadership, management, member experience and operations and currently serves as the Co-Founder, President & CEO of Active Sports Clubs. During this episode we chat to Bill about the threat of substitution and what it means for a fitness business. Bill shares with us the characteristics he looks for in managers of his clubs and he narrows down his top 3 critical components to a strategic plan.
Also in this weeks show, we welcome one of our new sponsors – Tribe Team Training who are global leaders in providing Team Training solutions to health and fitness clubs around the world!
- 00:39 – Introduction to Bill McBride
- 02:00 – What does the threat of substitution mean for a fitness business?
- 06:01 – What characteristics do you look for in your club managers?
- 08:59 – How have consumers changed their purchasing behavior?
- 11:02 – Top 3 critical components to a strategic plan
- 18:34 – Introducing Tribe Team Training
- 25:10 – Top 5 takeaways from this weeks show
Top Tips From The Show
- Your offering needs to be around habit formation, motivation, inspiration, engagement, social engagement – these are the things that will drive results.
- Spend time working on your strategic plan to understand what your value proposition and value chain is.
- Once you have the core aspects of a strategic plan, you should take that out to the rest of the company, and create conversation, involvement and communication about what that plan means.
- For most organizations, strategic planning takes place as a 1-3 year plan, but you need to re-visit regularly – it has to evolve based on opportunities and based on your market place.
- You need to have goals and objectives on a 30, 60, 90 day period and combine that with a ‘deep-dive’ quarterly review.
Inspirational Quotes From The Experts
- “You can’t have a strategy without clarity around who you are, what you’re trying to accomplish and what your strengths are.” – Bill McBride
- “At the end of the day, the only thing that we offer people is motivation and accountability, helping them form habits that push them to a level they couldn’t do on their own, in an environment that they enjoy.” – Bill McBride
Business Strategies to Drive Results